Sunday, October 31, 2010

NEMBA Wicked Ride of the East

We're just back from the NEMBA Wicked Ride of the East at Harold Parker State Forest in North Andover, MA. Like all the other NEMBA events we've been to, this one was no different, a well organized venue, some great vendors and a 'wicked' selection of well marked courses to ride meeting all ability levels.  We arrived prior to the 9:30 am start and got ourselves set up for product display.  Both James and I wanted to ride as well, (well, it can't be all work, must play too!) so we ran split shifts on the booth. I got the early morning ride slot (the Trick) and after about a mile into the ride, my front wheel washed out on the slippery leaves in an off camber section and I took to the sky, superman style, floating through the air faster than a speeding bullet, my body and bike going opposite directions! I hit the ground pretty hard, arms extended (like superman) and slammed my head into the turf.  I knew right away the result of that crash, yup, broken helmet with complimentary subtle headache!  The group of riders I was with were hammering from the start and they never looked back.  Seems to me with little choice, I got the 'trick' and the treat was yet to come.  

Speaking of treats, I returned to our booth after my short ride and regrouped.  You know those days when your flowing real good on the bike and you hit the ground hard, well it just threw me off, so I ended my session quicker than I would have liked. Thankfully, James had been working hard and had some candy and chocolate treats for our visitors and some scary, festive Halloween decorations. 

 Rastafari James and his boneheaded friend dressed for success.

Soon after my return, James kitted up and took off to the trails and I didn't see him for at least a couple of hours (the Treat) and he had a great ride.  We both agreed how fun the trails at HP are, lots of good technical sections with some nice flow.  It's a must for any local New England mountain bikers to check out. 
 
 James loaded up with lights, spreading some of that good vibration, Mon!

One can not attend the Wicked Ride and not give credit where credit is due...and all the credit goes to Leebo for his Savory, Spicy Chili.  That hit-the-spot!  Thanks so much Lee and Thanks to all the North Shore NEMBA crew, all the riders who treated themselves to the tricks of the trails and had a fantastic day. Apparently, they had 500+ riders show up and enjoy the spectacular fall weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment